LED light flickers when other light turned on

Old 01-13-21, 02:20 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
LED light flickers when other light turned on

My sons bedroom light flickers off and on sometimes when I turn my bedroom light on. Itís not every time but sometimes is very obvious. His light is on an LED dimmer that is new. Does this sound normal?

Old 01-13-21, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,993 Upvotes on 3,584 Posts
Does this sound normal?
Is sounds contrary to common logic but it does happen.
It is not harmful in any way. More of an annoyance.

It's usually caused by the wiring for the light that flickers to be near a circuit that is live or becomes live. Almost impossible to change the wiring. More bulbs are now being produced with heavier snubbing circuits that stop the flicker or greatly reduce it. You could try a different bulb to see if the problem goes away.

Old 01-14-21, 03:56 AM
B
Received 304 Upvotes on 269 Posts
As PJmax pointed out, the problem is caused by a circuit becoming live (electroms flow) when you turn on the light in your bedroom. This creates a magnetic field that travels through space. The electronics in the dimmer and/or LED driver in your son's bedroom are being affected by this magnetic field resulting in the flicker. There are methods to build a magnetic shield but unless you know and can address all sources of magnetic fields in and near your home, the effort will not be 100 percent effective. Magnetic shields are beyond my capabilities and not a DIY task.

Old 01-14-21, 05:37 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks! I had never seen something like that before so it was a bit alarming. Iím glad it doesnít sound like a wiring issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: