Adding motion sensor to floodlights

Old 01-15-21, 08:21 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding motion sensor to floodlights

I've got a flood light on all four corners of my house. The front two are on one switch. The back two are on one switch. There is also a "master" switch that will turn on all four lights. None of the lights are on a motion sensor. Is it possible to change the light on one of them to a motion sensor light?

Old 01-15-21, 08:37 AM
Received 79 Votes on 67 Posts
Depends upon how the switches are wired. Motion detector will only work if there is power to the light. If you put a motion detector on one light the switch for that light must be on, so the other light(s) will be always on.

If the power to the switches originates at one of the lights, that one could be wired for a motion detector independently. If the master switch uses a relay it might be possible to modify the switch wiring to provide power to one light independently for a motion detector.

Old 01-15-21, 09:03 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That's kind of what I thought. Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-15-21, 10:12 AM
C
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
If the bulbs are not part of the fixture you could replace with a smart bulb option. You could also try a smart switch but then you need a motion sensor that you can link to it. You can try iftt or smartthings app to try and link the 2. It worked with ring cameras and hue. I'm trying to figure out how to set it up since getting my own camera set up but haven't quite figured it out yet.

Old 01-15-21, 10:27 AM
Received 79 Votes on 67 Posts
You could replace some or all of your existing fixtures and bypass the switches or leave them on. Some fixtures will light up from an ON-OFF-ON action of a switch so your master switch could still be used.

Flood lights with motion detector

Check this replacement bulb with motion and photocell on that link.

Sengled Motion Sensor Light Bulbs Dusk to Dawn Outdoor Lighting, LED Flood Light PAR38 Photocell Sensor, Waterproof, 5000K 1300LM, 3rd Gen, 2Pack

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: