Junction box has 5 sets of wires

Old 01-16-21, 01:11 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Junction box has 5 sets of wires

We were changing the light fixture and I took off the light fixture awhile ago and forgot to take photos. Now we were able to put the light fixture turn on however there were two power outlets were not working.. the blue and white one were together originally and the black and red were together as well. The rest we were not sure how should wire them

Anyone has idea how I should wire these.. really appreciate for any input or suggestions..

Old 01-16-21, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,898 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

When you disconnect a light...... there are only two wires that need to be disconnected.
If you opened all the wire splices.... you're in trouble.
You have conduit there with several different circuits. It is not going to be easy to figure out the correct splices.
I see a bare ground wire which may mean there is an NM-b (romex) cable connected there too.

Take off the fixture bar. Pull all the wires out of the box without disconnecting anything else. If you've just put any of those wires together randomly..... take them back apart. Post a picture or two so we can see all the wiring.

Old 01-17-21, 10:02 AM
S
Hi Pete,
Thank you for your help! here's better photos for the wires. You are right there were a group of green wires (I tried to pull these out but it was stuck inside with multiple wires below them) and one individual green wire (which I believe this single green goes to the light fixture). For the rest I believe the red and black were together originally and the blue and white were together. The rest two whites, two blacks and one single orange I have no idea how to connect them. I was able to make the light fixture turned on with one of the whites and single orange. On the other side I have two extra large wire nuts and two small wire nuts on the side I'm pretty sure the large ones were from this junction box.

The light junction box supposed to make the 2 light switches, 2 outlets working (those outlets are outdoor and on the electric panel there's one switch called outside GFI). I was only able to make one light fixture working after all.. however at some point one of the outlet with yellow light turned on.

Last edited by PJmax; 01-17-21 at 09:12 PM. Reason: cropped/resized/labeled pics
Old 01-17-21, 09:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,898 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Too many wires in too small a box.
Since the conduit is PVC.... they needed to run green ground wiring.
That bare ground is probably the metal box ground.
The greens/grounds all get connected together so no need to discuss them.

Pipe A: yellow, yellow, red, white, green.
Pipe B: yellow, yellow, red, white, orange, green.
Pipe C: ?

I think you're going to need some "hands on" help there to figure this out.
If you want me to carry on..... I'll need to see every wire clearly and then we'll need to test them.

I'm troubled by a white/blue connection.
I'm troubled by multiple white connections.
Could indicate a MWBC multiwire branch circuit and the white wires are not shared.

It would make sense that the light connects to the orange wire with black tape and the white wire(s) with black tape but that doesn't help in areas that aren't working.

Old 01-18-21, 08:39 AM
S
Yea there were lots wires jumble together inside. Sorry I didn't know you need to see each pipe.... that was really bad photo to read.. my bad...

So here I got more clear photos and also I note down all the wires in each pipe.. same as the order you labeled earlier, here what I got

Pipe A: yellow, yellow, red, white, green.
Pipe B: yellow, yellow, red, white, orange, green.
Pipe C: black, blue, white, green, red
Pipe D: white, white,
black, black, copper, copper

I can definitaly test out all scenarios that you suggest and see if they will make the outlets working.. I was able to make the light fixture turn on.. what I did was connect the orange and one of the white sets to the light fixture and it functioned properly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: