Basement reno lights

Old 01-16-21, 05:44 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement reno lights

Hi there, I am building my basement and i have some questions about pot Lights. This is an unfinished basement, so I was initially planning to put new construction housing cans (like halo cans), but I also find a more cheaper option where I wouldn’t need to add the housing for the led pot lights (amazon Green Canada LED 4Inch 9W 750LM LED recessed Slim Pot Light ic rate).
Green Canada LED 4Inch 9W 750LM LED recessed Slim Pot Light, IC-Rated Slim Downlight/Ceiling Light with Junction Box, Dimmable ETL/Energy Star Approved(10 Pack) (4000K/natural White), Close-to-Ceiling Lights - Amazon Canada
any suggestion? pros/cons of using one option or another (beside the cost)

Old 01-17-21, 05:46 AM
Received 462 Votes on 430 Posts
This is an unfinished basement
If its unfinished why install cans, just install LED or CFL bulbs into a standard fiixture!

Old 01-17-21, 06:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 289 Votes on 252 Posts
Those LED wafer lights are nice for remodel work. You can use them when finishing a basement but you need to make sure you can get to the cable when you install the lights after the drywall is up.

I personally would rather install can housings when the ceiling is open. That way I can avoid any obstructions and get the layout right. If you use the wafer lights you have to make sure to get your measurements exactly right and cut the hole perfectly otherwise you are repairing drywall.

I would also recommend a light color that is 3500K or warmer.

Old 01-17-21, 06:20 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 159 Posts
I exclusively use the LED wafer fixtures these days. The extra hassle and cost of the cans just isn't worth it for me.

With drywall, I'll run the NM-B before the drywall goes up and run it through holes. After the drywall is up, a rotozip or drywall saw makes it quick to cut the hole.
If it's a drop-ceiling, I'd put up the grid first, then run the cables to the light locations.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: