Bathroom exhaust Fan replacement - new unit still doesn't work

Old 01-17-21, 06:36 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom exhaust Fan replacement - new unit still doesn't work

Our bathroom exhaust fan stopped working after 20 years so I thought it simply broke. The light still worked. Replaced it with a brand new one - same model. Light still works, fan doesn't work.

So I thought it might be the light switch itself. Replaced that with a new one. Light still works. Fan doesn't work.

What else to look for? I am a very novice at electrical but this is pretty simple just putting stuff in the same place it was before.

Old 01-17-21, 08:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 893 Upvotes on 754 Posts
Since it has both a fan and light you should have two switch legs and 4 wires:
Fan switch leg (black or red)
Light switch leg (black or red)
Neutral (white)
Ground (bare)
If you have anything different please let us know.

Connect both the fan and light to the light switch leg and see if both work. If they do then the fan is OK.

Check to make sure all the connections are good at the switch. Use a meter and check at the switch that you have 120 volts out of the fan switch leg side to ground or neutral. If it is then measure the voltage at the fan. You should also get 120 volts between hot and neutral. If not, check the connections at the fan.

Old 01-18-21, 05:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,229 Upvotes on 1,988 Posts
A good time for an electrical tester or multi meter to find out what's getting power and what's not. They can be very handy tools for all sorts of household electrical problems.

Old 01-18-21, 07:04 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, seems more like circuit problem, are the receptacles in that fan unit, if so try switching the plugs around, what model if that unit?
Geo 🇺🇸

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: