Wiring a manual speed switch for 3 speed ceiling fan.

Old 02-03-21, 06:35 AM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring a manual speed switch for 3 speed ceiling fan.

My wife asked me to replace a ceiling fan in our basement. The original fan was controlled by a smart switch with a dimmer for the light and an on/off relay for the fan. I used the manual speed select on the fan itself to set the speed I wanted the fan to run at when I turn the fan on.

I the process of installing the new fan, I realized that the new fan did not have a speed select switch. The only way to control the fan speed was with the wireless remote the controls a wireless reciever box in installed in the box above the fan. I really don't want to use the fan remote to adjust the fan speed as I want to use the z-wave based smart relay to control it.

I only need one speed, just not max speed which is what I have right now. Is there an easy and safe way to set a fan speed to a lower speed? The wiring is pretty straight forward (HarborBreeze). Coming to the fan wireless receiver is hot and neutral. Leaving the wireless receiver are 2 wires connected up to the fan. The receiver reacts to to 4 button on the remote; off, low, medium and High. What would I need to do to remove the receiver and only have the fan run at, lets say medium speed? Could I wire in a manual 3 speed fan controller and just set the speed once and forget it.

Appreciate any comments.

Old 02-03-21, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,877 Upvotes on 3,475 Posts
You would need a separate speed controller. I like the Fantech control.
It would need to be mounted in an electrical box.
Fantech WC15

Old 02-03-21, 04:10 PM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I just took a old ceiling fan apart and it has a speed control and a pull chain switch. Could I use that if I can figure out how to wire it up?

Old 02-03-21, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,877 Upvotes on 3,475 Posts
Usually the fan speed controls are integral with the motor. Wiring will be a little convoluted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: