Outdoor lights not working

Old 03-06-21, 03:05 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor lights not working

I have 2 outdoor lights on the same circuit, controlled by a single switch inside the front door.
I removed one of the lights to replace it with a nicer one. Then decided not to do it.
I hooked the old light back up as it was. Black to black and white to white. Now, neither of the lights work. I have 120V on the black wire with the switch on, but neither light works. Breakers and GFI are fine. I’m using a no touch probe to test for voltage. I did nothing to the other light on the circuit, so haven’t checked it. No need, I think. All was working fine before removing and reinstalling the one light. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Old 03-06-21, 03:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The non contact pen only tells you that you have dangerous voltage in the area.
It has no way of checking for proper neutral.
You will need a two wire voltage tester or meter to check from white to black for power.

I'd imagine the problem will be in the white splice at the fixture you had removed.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 03-06-21, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I’m using a no touch probe to test for voltage. I have 120V on the black wire with the switch on,
If you are using a non-contact voltage tester how do you know you have 120 volts? Non-contact testers can give many false positives and are only good for quick tests. To do any real troubleshooting you need a real meter. Just a cheap $15 analog meter will work.

My first guess is there is a loose neutral in the box where you took the light down.

2john02458 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: