Another Dimmer question

Old 03-18-21, 10:59 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another Dimmer question

In new to us house, we have Leviton sliding dimmer switches on almost every light, even the walk-in closet...but not in the dining room (first place I would want one). So, I thought it would be easy to simply switch the switches - Leviton non-dimming rocker in DR for Leviton rocker with sliding dimmer in closet. Both worked fine, dimmer worked with LED bulb in closet, non-dimming worked with CLF in DR - which is also the only fixture in the house with GU24 base. Both switches were wired with 1 black and 2 black (and no ground on either).
1st step, I switched DR fixture to dimmable LED bulbs with GU24 base, checked existing non-dimming switch, and they came on, seemed to work fine. So I switched to the dimming switch that worked in the closet, wiring it exactly as both switches had been wired (no ground). Lights came on, but would not dim. If I slid the dimmer switch, they would start to flicker, then flash, then off. I added the ground, no difference. Since I has already wired the non-dimming switch to the closet (works fine), I decided I was no worse off, and would just leave it on full brightness and use it as a non-dimming switch. But no, the electrical gods are not with me. Now, the light stays on full for 8-10 minutes, then flashes for awhile and goes out. If I turn switch off, wait, turn it back on it repeats the cycle. I replaced the new dimmable LED bulbs with the previous CFL (which had worked perfectly before), and the same thing - on full for a few minutes, then flashing.
I hoping someone can enlighten my dim understanding of this (pun intended); I can't see the logic.

Old 03-18-21, 11:50 AM
Received 716 Upvotes on 637 Posts
Not all dimmer switches work with all dimmer LED'S. Were the bulbs the same when used in the closet with the dimmer as the dimmable bulb used in DR when you switched it?

Old 03-18-21, 01:01 PM
O
No. LED in closet actually said "non-dimmable" on bulb, but did dim (quick test) although we never really used it dimmed. Bought new dimmable bulbs for DR - and they worked at 100% with no dimming switch for short test.

At this point, I have learned a lot about dimmers and bulbs being very specific and not always compatible. I understand, and will research more later, but for now, I am giving up and ready to go back to where I was. But I would think a dimmer switch set for 100% would still be compatible with any bulb for that function, even if incompatible as dimmer...but it appears not?

Old 03-19-21, 09:08 AM
O
Update: As a last attempt to salvage dimmer function, I found adapters to adapt GU24 to standard screw-in bulbs. With old fashioned filament bulbs (Halogen was all I could find), I thought surely this set up would work. And it did for nearly 15 minutes the 1st time...then flickering, to flashing as before.

Does this mean for sure the dimer switch is bad? I realize I never used it in the closet other than a quick test...never more than 30 seconds.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: