What type of LED for new ceiling?

Old 03-25-21, 12:55 PM
N
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What type of LED for new ceiling?

We're having a sheetrock ceiling installed in our basement (please don't comment one way or another on that decision...), and I need to know what type of LED should I be looking at (probably pertains to any new ceiling, not just basement).

Do I want a canless style such as : https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lighting...toreSelection=

Or do I want something where the bulb is not part of it (and I just go pick bulbs and screw them in...).

In short, and of course I'll go over this with electrician (I just want to know before hand what is best), what is standard practice in terms of recessed LED lights in new sheetrock ceilings.

Thank you.

Old 03-25-21, 03:08 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,116 Upvotes on 1,895 Posts
This is a totally subjective decision up to you. What you choose will depend on your room size, ceiling height, how much light you want and what style you like.

As far as the recessed lights that decision could be made for you by the space available. If there isn't room in the ceiling for cans then going canless is the way to go. I personally like the old can style as you can easily replace the bulb and the fixture will still match all the others. If you go canless when one of them dies (and it will) you'll wish you had a spare on hand or you'll have to find a matching one or deal with one that might look slightly different than the others.

Old 03-25-21, 03:22 PM
N
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Understood and thanks so much!

Old 03-25-21, 04:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
There are two trains of thought. I'm pretty much hooked on the canless fixtures. Easier to install. Lower cost. Better light. The face is sealed.... no dust or dirt falls thru. Reduced sound transmission thru the floors.

Yes.... I agree they can fail. That's why I always recommend having a spare or two on hand for the future.
They come in 4", 5" and 6". If I buy them.... they are Halo fixtures. I have installed lights from several different companies. I haven't seen any failures yet in two years.

They now make pre-sheetrocking brackets. These come in 4", 5" and 6". They get installed before sheetrocking so that the sheetrocker knows where to cut. They run $5-8 based on the size. You can also leave the cable in the ceiling and lay out the locations. After rocking you can reach in and grab the cable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: