Flush mount ceiling LED FIxture weirdness

Old 03-29-21, 08:07 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Flush mount ceiling LED FIxture weirdness

About a year and a half ago, we installed a flush mount LED ceiling fixture. It worked very well until last week, when it began doing the following:
When you hit the wall switch, the light would go on for a few seconds, then either shut off, or dim significantly.
If you then cycle the wall switch- off-on- the light would work normally and stay on until you shut it off..
Anybody encounter this situation? Is it the light, the LEDs, the switch or ? Suggestions?
I'm guessing that it is only a matter of time until I'll need to replace the light.
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-29-21, 08:15 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Probably the power converter, LED's run on DC so when the power converter goes pretty much the light is toast.

I was able to replace a converter in a strip light only because I had two fixtures and swapped the part, not sure where a replacement one would be found but I bet they are out there somewhere!

Old 03-29-21, 10:21 AM
Received 391 Upvotes on 340 Posts
After only a year and a half it might still be covered by a warranty. Check for a URL or 800 number on the lamp or look online for the manufacturer. Some have an online claim process that is almost painless and works. Contact Support by email if necessary.

Old 03-29-21, 04:54 PM
B
Received 303 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Just happened to have a Sylvania LED lamp box nearby. In big and bold text, it says "LASTS 10 YEARS". On one side in text so small I needed a magnifying glass is says "3 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY". Where are the truth in advertising police?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: