Help with ceiling fan electrical box.

Old 04-10-21, 12:32 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with ceiling fan electrical box.

I started what I thought was going to be an easy install but was greeted with a mess of wires. From what I have read it looks like they have a switch loop in the box but there are three incoming wire bundles instead of just two so I'm not sure exactly how to wire them back up. From testing I can tell both the switch for the existing fan as well as can lights added later are both running through the box and are each wired separately. My question is how do I go about wiring everything back up so both switches maintain their individual functionality and I don't burn my house down. Total the box has 3 white, 3 black, a red and 3 ground wires. One of the groups has a black, white and ground. One has black, white, red and ground. The final group has another black, white and ground. Attached pictures attempt to show what is going on and I grouped the wires together by where they came from.

Unfortunately I was removing the caps quickly since the previous fan was hanging and neglected to take a picture of how they were previously wired. I do know all three white wires were bundled and capped and I believe two of the black were bundled and capped.

Last edited by Veloxmortis; 04-10-21 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-10-21, 02:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,118 Upvotes on 1,897 Posts
"Unfortunately I was removing the caps quickly since the previous fan was hanging and neglected to take a picture of how they were previously wired."
That was going to be my first question.

Do you have a multi meter or a contact style voltage tester (NOT a pen type non contact tester)? I would use a meter to start figuring out what each wire does and flip wall switches to find out which switch is controlling what wire.

Old 04-10-21, 03:46 PM
V

I have a multimeter, what would be the proper and safe way to go about testing them? I opened up the switch box and it looks like a red and a black are for the fan so those should be connected to the new fan and two black are for the lights so they should be bundled and capped? Then just cap the three whites back together again without any other connections. But once again I need to figure out which black goes with the red.

Old 04-12-21, 09:33 AM
V
Figured it out.

Got it all figured out after lots of troubleshooting and multimeter usage. They had the lights on two different loops from the same switch which led to more cables than I expected.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: