Retrofitting Incandescent Light Cans with LEDs

Old 04-13-21, 07:46 PM
K
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Retrofitting Incandescent Light Cans with LEDs

I need to replace my homes ceiling light cans with LED's. They are older ones that have been in it since it was built in 1992. Of course I want to save money, but that doesn't mean going with the cheapest product. Here are some pictures of one of the existing cans. I don't know if there are any retrofits that can be used in the existing locations. The diameter of the hole in the ceiling was probably intended to be 7", but was cut out of round and is 7-3/8" at its widest. Can anyone suggest a product?

Old 04-13-21, 08:07 PM
K
To make the job all the more difficult, two of the lights mount into a pitched ceiling and for the beams to point down the fixture either has to have an adjustable gimbal or a fixed pitch.

Last edited by klawman213; 04-13-21 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Ad picture
Old 04-14-21, 04:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,183 Upvotes on 1,953 Posts
Why not just put LED bulbs in the cans you already have?

Old 04-14-21, 05:24 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
You have several options, replacement pucks dont even use a can but I have not looked for ones for sloped ceilings but as PD stated a simple LED bulb would work.

Spend your time and try to find new trim rings, that will give them a fresh look!

Old 04-14-21, 10:38 AM
K
Pilot Dane and Marq1,

Thanks. I haven't been here for years but always got steered in the right direction. A well known realtor told me to replace them with LED's that would be flush. Bulbs would be inset several inches plus he doesn't like the black trim. I will talk with him more, but think it may be best to merely change all the bulbs ESPECIALLY since some are so high up on a cathedral ceiling that doing electrical work is a beech. But I can change the bulbs with an extension pole.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: