New Light Fixture

Old 04-17-21, 12:25 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Light Fixture

Sorry I posted this on another forum and wanted ot post it here as well, trying ot get this fixed ASAP!

(Edited)

Yes I am an idiot for not taking a picture before I unhooked the previous light fixture but I didn't.

The new light fixture has a black, white and ground.

Coming out of the ceiling junction box I have 2 wires:

Wire 1: 1 black wire, 1 white wire
Wire 2: 1 black wire, 1 white wire, 1 red wire, 1 ground

Both blacks are wound together and both whites are bound together.

The previous fixture had the black wound to the other 2 blacks, the white bound to the other 2 whites and the red I thought was connected to either the whites or the blacks with ground on ground.

I tried a few different ways. Firs thing I want to mention is all 3 attempts, when I came back upstairs after turning the breaker box back on, the fixture light was already lit and going (even though the switch on the wall was still turned off).

Attempt 1: hooked the red to the blacks. The light was on, when I turned the switch to the on position it stayed on and did nothing.

Attempt 2: hooked the red to the whites. The light was on, when I turned the switch to the on position it made a loud pop noise at the switch (scared me to death) and I went downstairs and the breaker was in the middle position, so I turned it back off.

Attempt 3: didnt connect red to anything, just capped it. The light was on, when I turned the switch to the on position it stayed on and did nothing.

What in the world am I missing??

The switch on the wall is a dimmer switch from 2 fixtures ago. Our last fixture was not dimmable so the switch just acted like an on off like normal. I was hoping to achieve the same thing.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Last edited by XSleeper; 04-17-21 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Linking to other forums is not allowed
Old 04-17-21, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,406 Upvotes on 3,056 Posts
Connect your light's black wire to the red.
Connect your light's white wire to white splice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: