Short wires for 2 fixtures

Old 04-19-21, 12:41 PM
U
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Short wires for 2 fixtures

Hey all,
i am trying to replace 2 different fixtures in a house from 1953. 1 is a ceiling fan one is an OLD light above the kitchen sink.

First the ceiling fan-
i am moving a ceiling fan to the bedroom and I noticed when taking it off the mount that the white wire had only 2 “threads?”. So I had to strip it further back to expose the rest of the threads on the wire.
Now with the wires coming from the plaster ceiling also being kind of short it is nigh impossible to wire them to gather with a nut. I also have no ground. What do I do? Can I use a terminal kit or something?

Ceiling fan with short white wire.

Ceiling fan mount area

Second the kitchen sink light-
this time the fixture is apparently really really stuck in the plaster. I figured I could just put a light over it BUT the wires are super short AND then hole is 4” deep so I’m not sure how to mount a light around a 7 3/4 in square hole (11in on the diagonal). Maybe I could put some wood in there and drill a ceiling box to it? But either way the wires are too short to make. Just use a wire nut?

Kitchen sink 7 3/4in square with super short wires and no ground.

Kitchen sink light

Kitchen sink light

Kitchen sink light

Kitchen sink light.

Old 04-19-21, 02:20 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,759 Upvotes on 1,572 Posts
I clean the insulation back on the old wire until I get nice shiny copper or a carefully clean the conductor so it's nice and shiny. Then I use a Wago connector and add on a section of new wire to extend the length making sure the new wire I add is the same color as the old; black for black, white for white. You can also wire nut, they are less expensive but I find it harder to make a good connection when the wire is short and space tight.

As for your lack of a ground connect the ground wire from your new fan or light to the metal electrical box. There may be a screw in the box already for attaching a ground.

uzannesay voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: