Flood lights to illuminate tree

Old 04-29-21, 06:10 AM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Flood lights to illuminate tree

I need to replace some lights. The previous owner put lights into a tree in the back yard, and over the weekend it got struck by lightning, destroying the fixtures. I'm going to replace them with flood lights on the house instead of putting lights on the tree directly as the lightning strike caused some problems in the house. Are there any recommendations for flood lights to do this? I've tried Home Depot, Amazon, etc and it seems like my only two choices are a generic outdoor assembly with two lights, or a motion triggered set. Is that the only option?

Old 04-29-21, 07:02 AM
I
Received 35 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Your question indicates you want to illuminate the tree. There are low-voltage landscape lights made for this purpose, but they don't mount on the house.

If you want a single lamp, Home Depot sells weatherproof lampholders which screw into round weatherproof boxes and covers. Just put 'em together. Put a spot bulb in and aim it at the tree.

There are also 12v flood lights if you prefer not to mess with 120v wiring:
Search Amazon for: led flood light 10w waterproof outdoor dc/ac 12v

There's also security lights, but these I would think are too bright to be mounted on a house, unless you're lighting the driveway for night-time basketball games.

Old 04-29-21, 07:06 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Actually the recommendation today is to not do projects like this, look up "dark sky", light pollution.

I Mullins voted this post useful.
Old 04-30-21, 10:49 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 414 Upvotes on 368 Posts
There are lots of options, but it really depends what you're looking for and how much light you want.

If you're looking for standard floodlights (PAR38), you can get the standard 2-head fixture, or get an outdoor box and install 1 or 2 or 3 bulbs in it.

You can go LED, which are mostly similar, but same general concept.

You can always go with the halogen type (or LED) fixtures which are BRIGHT.

Or you can go with a different outdoor fixture like is usually installed near a doorway. Typically less light, but way more options.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: