40 year old 2 speed Hunter fan controller?

Old 05-01-21, 06:01 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
40 year old 2 speed Hunter fan controller?

I have this 40 year old Hunter fan, 4 blade model, 2 speed from the pull chain on the fan. It also has a light in it with a pull chain. I turn it on and off with a switch on the wall. Is there any way I can use a 'dimmer' or controller to slow down the speed, the low speed is a bit to high and high is real high. I'm not real worried about the light, it can go or not.

The switch is in a 3 bay Lutron type plate. The rectangular rocker switch.

Old 05-01-21, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,529 Votes on 1,412 Posts
That square type opening is called Decora.

There are several fan controls available in Decora style. The link below is a basic one from Leviton.
It is ok to vary the speed and dim the light at the same time.

The fan should be set to high speed when using a wall speed control.

Leviton ceiling fan speed control

Old 05-01-21, 07:45 PM
D
Yes, Decora, thanks. I'll check the fan for it's current rating, it's a Hunter 22450 model, I thought it may be a 2.5A but I'll check. It looks like it will do the trick if the amps are enough. I don't know why I didn't do this 30 years ago. I took this fan with me from a previous house.

Old 05-02-21, 04:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 840 Posts
When I was a child I remember my parents splurging and they got one of the original solid brass Hunter fans. That fan got moved to three other houses over the years and I really wish I had been able to get it because I don't think it will ever die.

Old 05-02-21, 08:07 AM
Group Moderator
Some of those older original fans had actual oil reservoirs right inside the motor.

Old 05-02-21, 11:24 AM
D
It says right on the model plate on the fan 2.5A. That controller is only 1.5A. I could open up the wall plate and actually measure the amps. Or perhaps I could run it on 'low' with the controller? Then again that 2.5A may be the starting surge, I don't know. I'll measure things.

Yes I remember getting this fan and it came with oil that I poured right in the top of it. I think the oil just sits in open air, you'd think it would get pretty dirty up there, the blades do.

Old 05-02-21, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
I see a larger current model but it requires a neutral connection.
Enerlites 2.5A ceiling fan control

Old 05-02-21, 07:34 PM
D
That's interesting. I get 2 of them in case one craps out I guess. But why does it say only for 3 speed fans? I also read all this stuff about 'old' and 'new' fan controllers, or should I say fans. Seems to be a crap shoot out there as far as noisy fans vs controllers. I've no problem with a neutral wire, house has black, white and neutral everywhere. It would sure be nice to control the light too, but I'm probably hoping to shoot the moon there. As I said, I'm not worried about the light, it doesn't do anything anyhow. I've got plenty of lights in the room.

I was looking at this one, but I'd have to make up the 'Decora' plate somehow, it's a 3 gang 'Decora' switch plate and the fan is in the middle, of course I could change that..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004YUP1...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Old 05-02-21, 07:42 PM
D
By the way, what's the diff between the decora and the lutron? I have some LED's now that I have trouble controlling with my old X10 style controllers. Some of them work and some don't. All my switches are Leviton, not actually X10. But I do like controlling them with my 8 position X10 controller.
Leviton calls it DHC, digital home control.

Old 05-02-21, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
You can get any electrical plate you want.
The home improvement stores should be able to order them.
I found a two gang decora with single toggle. Didn't see one with the toggle in the middle.

Decora is only the square type device. It's not a device brand.
For example.... the plate above has two decora openings and one toggle opening.
Lutron and Leviton are actual device companies.

Haven't dealt with X-10 products in a while but I thought they were designed for incandescent.
Any device that can be used with LED's would have to say LED compatible.

Old 05-03-21, 08:53 AM
D
Problem with plate is I have those snap on no screw Decora type plates. Don't know if they make one of those with a toggle section. The position doesn't matter, I can move things around if necessary. I'll look around, but that controller may work. Although I could go back to a screw type plate just for that one. But I'd almost rather try to make something up to cover or fill the rectangle. We'll see. I didn't find anything at HD on line.
Thanks..

Old 05-03-21, 10:21 AM
Received 105 Votes on 90 Posts
It is fairly easy to modify a plastic plate with a sharp box cutter. A dremel tool is also handy for cleaning up the edges. Draw the outline of the hole you want. (Use another plate as a template.) Score the plastic repeatedly with the blade until you cut through the plastic. Then sand smooth if necessary or to fit. The following plates had standard toggle switches and were modified for Decora style smart switches.

Plate modified for Decora style smart switch.

Plate was previously segmented for available devices. Later modified for smart switch.

The smart switches had snap-in covers so there were no holes in them for plate screws. The plates rely on the screws of the other devices for fastening.

Creating your own segmented plates is an option but they are also available commercially. Those have locking tabs at the sides for a better finished joint.

Old 05-04-21, 12:01 PM
D
I took the switch out and disconnected one lead and put the ammeter in series. In low the fan draws 1.6A and on high it draws 2.5A. So I reckon I should get at least a 2.5A controller. I hear there are controllers for 'new' fans and 'old' fans. I wonder if there's any way to tell the difference? A lot of the Amazon customers seem to get a hum on low speeds, others either don't care, can't hear it or it doesn't hum.

Old 05-04-21, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
If you get the larger fan control from amazon and it hums.... send it back.
Depot has build-a-plate. You can gang together any style and in any quantity.

They also make autotransformer type speed controls. These don't hum but they are larger in size than the electronic dimmer and may not fit well in your box.

Old 05-04-21, 02:14 PM
D
Well that 3 gang box already has 2 Leviton DHC dimmers and the Decora switch in the middle. So I doubt I can put much of anything larger than a 'dimmer' at best. It's already got about 6 white wires in there. Electrician must have used that box for junction. If I go to HD for a 'universal cover', maybe they have a controller too, they'll take stuff back easier than Amazon in my experience. I'll try something one of these days.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: