Desk lamp socket replacement

Old 05-06-21, 08:51 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Desk lamp socket replacement

I realize lamp repair may not qualify as full-scale DIY, but this desk lamp I have is built like a tank unlike most of them and I really love it. However, the switch stopped working and I have not been able get the old socket/receptacle out to replace it. There seems to be a nut of sorts just under the part the socket fits into (photos), but it doesn't want to budge. I ended up ripping out most of the exterior of the bulb socket but can't get the receptacle/switch assumbly itself out. The wiring to the socket is fairly tight, i.e., I don't think it was insalled loosely, then stuffed in under the socket.

Any ideas about what might be holding the bulb receptacle/switch assembly together?

This was supposed to be a 30-minute project . . .

Old 05-06-21, 09:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,109 Upvotes on 1,888 Posts
See if you can get a wrench on the flats and unscrew the head. You might need a thin or plate wrench to get in there.

Old 05-06-21, 12:11 PM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
It all screws together. Grab the chrome shade and twist. it should come loose. It will be similar to this.

Old 05-08-21, 07:28 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
So it sounds like the consensus is the socket is screwed onto a threaded rod connected to tne nut shown in the first photo?

Old 05-09-21, 07:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 863 Upvotes on 726 Posts
If there are no screws on the inside of the socket then it will be connected via a threaded nipple.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: