Ceiling fan

Old 05-17-21, 02:41 AM
E
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Ceiling fan

I am about to install a ceiling fan in the living room. I worked with electricity for over 50 years and have done many fans before so the electrical part of it is no problem. My problem is the house was built in 1916 and of course has plaster walls and ceilings. There is no light where the fan is going. That would be too easy! I am going to run the power off a duplex receptacle on a wall using Wiremold track to get it up to the ceiling. I realize I should mount the ceiling fan box to a rafter. How can I find a rafter in that ceiling without drilling many holes in it? I'm not sure if the rafters run north-south or east-west. I am going to mount the ceiling box flush with the ceiling but I need to have it anchored well. Thanks for any suggestions.

Rich

Old 05-17-21, 04:45 AM
D
Received 29 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Try one of these - you make your hole wherever you want it, and assuming you are between joists, this slides up into the hole and you put a wrench on it to expand the arms til the teeth dig into the joists.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westingh...0000/204845573

Old 05-17-21, 04:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,772 Upvotes on 1,584 Posts
I have sometimes had luck with a stud finder in plaster walls. I also use a small, strong magnet and slide it over the wall until I find the nails holding the lath to the studs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: