Living room diagram for fan + recessed LEDs

Old 06-04-21, 09:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Living room diagram for fan + recessed LEDs

Hello folks. I removed a bedroom and expanded my living room. I wish to add recessed LED lighting (x8) that will be controlled altogether, using 2 dimmer switches. One on either side of the room. I'd like to hard wire a ceiling fan as well (that will not have a light fixture on it). I drew a basic layout of how I think it should go. I have a relative who is an electrician, but has been putting it off for quite a while due to work. I'd like to lay out the wiring for him, so that the job is easier. He gave me a list of things to buy already, so I am trying to understand the basics of this. Any help is really appreciated, as I haven't found exactly what I am looking for through image search. (PS: The J represents junction in diagram).

EDIT: Just realized that the 12/3 on the right side is incorrect, it should be 12/2.

Old 06-04-21, 09:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,986 Upvotes on 3,578 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

For lighting use #14 if possible to keep box fill down. #12 is only needed if you need to match existing #12 wiring or you were installing some major lighting loads.

Your diagram is not correct..... need clarification......
1) You want 8 lights all together controlled by a two dimmers..... is that correct ?
........One dimmer at "1 gang" and one dimmer at "2 gang".
2) One switch at "2 gang" for outside LED light.... correct ?
3) Always live power at the fan.

Old 06-04-21, 10:52 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
The layout you have will make wiring it difficult. Doing a hub/spoke layout is not wrong, but you'll end up with a LOT of wires in the fan junctions, requiring larger boxes. Also, you'll probably want you fans separately switched.

This is how I'd lay out it if it were my installation:

Old 06-05-21, 08:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
@ PJmax - Thank you, and yes you are correct on your questions. I am trying to keep it 12/2 due to matching existing wires and already had bought the material.

@ Zorfdt - I am only using one fan on the left side (for entertainment area) and do not need a switch for it. Just utilizing pull chain. I have to tap into a junction box that has 12/2 from the panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: