Wire new light fixture with 6 wires

Old 06-05-21, 04:03 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wire new light fixture with 6 wires

I am replacing a new outdoor light fixture. When I removed the old fixture, I found six wires coming out of the wall; 2 black, 2 white, and 2 ground. The 2 black wires were connected together and capped. One white wire was connected (twisted) with one ground wire. The other ground was not connected to anything. Unfortunately, when I disconnected to old fixture, I forgot how the wires were connected to the wires from the wall. I am a novice, but I have wired new fixtures before. But I have never had to deal with 6 wires before; always just hot to hot, neutral to neutral, and ground to ground. I have attached a picture of how the wall wires look. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-05-21, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,082 Upvotes on 3,665 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I have attached a picture of how the wall wires look.
They look incorrect.

White and black never get connected to ground.
Is there another light fixture that works with that one ? (two on one switch)
Is there a switch for that light ?

More than likely.... one cable.... white and black is the hot/line in while the other cable would be a switch leg. You will need to check from white to black of each cable to determine where the hot is coming in. You need a voltmeter or a two probe voltage checker. A non contact tester won't work here.

Let us know what you find.

Old 06-05-21, 04:13 PM
B
The outdoor fixture is on the same breaker that controls the bedroom on the opposite side of the wall. So yes, there is more than one fixture on the breaker. There is a a switch for this fixture, as well as two switches for the bedroom. It seems an odd wire way to have it wired

Old 06-05-21, 04:16 PM
B
The old fixture that was wired to this setup was on there for nearly 30 years....

Old 06-05-21, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
The old fixture that was wired to this setup was on there for nearly 30 years....
That may be true, but it was not wired properly. There needs to be a junction box installed (There may be one behind the siding) ad the ground cannot be used as a current-carrying conductor. You will likely need to find where this fixture location gets its power and see how it is wired. (start at the switch that controls the fixture) Hopefully, this can be corrected.

BarryWH voted this post useful.
Old 06-05-21, 05:18 PM
B
Thanks Tolyn! That's kind of what I thought. I was surprised to not see a junction box for the fixture. This is probably outside the realm of my abilities and comfort zone. I think it's time to call a professional.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: