Recessed led lights remodel

Old 07-03-21, 09:42 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Recessed led lights remodel

Because of hurricane Laura storm damage I'm having to do some remodeling work in my game room and I want to go ahead and replace these long fluorescent fixtures with some Led recessed lighting. My problem is that I don't have good attic access. I can get into the attic but it's a major chore to get to anything. The attic isn't finished so there's always the possibility that I could fault through the attic and I don't want to even risk that. So my question is what are my options for getting recessed lighting in there? Or do I just need to go ahead and suck it up and work through the Attic? All of the electrical has already ran for the fluorescent fixtures so I'm just going to be using that. I guess the ultimate question is how can I avoid the Attic?

Old 07-03-21, 02:51 PM
Z
Received 120 Upvotes on 111 Posts
J-

If I remember correctly from when I did my kitchen, there are fixtures you can install from the ceiling below the wiring. I think those are called old-work fixtures (not sure though). You cut a hole in the ceiling and the can gets pushed up and fastens to the ceiling – I think. I don’t think you need to fasten it to joists. If you have the wiring in the right places already I think you have it made.

I’m sure others will chime in here.

Just remembered - those are called remodel light fixtures.

Old 07-11-21, 07:16 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 412 Upvotes on 367 Posts
I would definitely recommend LED wafer type lights. There's a box that gets connected to the NM-B, then a small wire to the LED light that pops into the ceiling. It can all be done from downstairs.

The next step is running any wires, which can either be fished from below with maybe a few extra holes. Or you might be able to run some wires around the attic, even if it's a bit more circuitous.

Old 07-11-21, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 723 Posts
As long as they are IC rated, both Wafer LED lights or standard remodel cans will work fine and do not require access to the attic. Typically all the wires can be fished, especially if you already have existing lights/wiring you can utilize.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: