Custom light switch cover

Old 07-03-21, 09:48 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Custom light switch cover

So, I'm an addict to smart home stuff. I like the smart switches when I use frequently and too lazy to get up to switch it. I want to switch one light to a smart switch. But, the problem with it is it's in a bank of switches where there are two sideways light switches on the left side then 3 light switches to the right of the 2 vertical switches. If I switch the one light to a smart switch, I would need to change the last switch in the switch plate to the rectangle opening. I can't find a switch plate that has the two vertical on the left, two horizonal normal openings for light switches then a big rectangle opening on the right for the smart switch.

Old 07-03-21, 11:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
That must be quite a sight.

I order custom plates at the electrical supply house.
You can build your own out of snap together plastic pieces....... Leviton sectional plates

Old 07-04-21, 01:46 PM
Received 387 Upvotes on 337 Posts
You could modify your existing switch plate. See Post #12 in this thread.

If you can find a plate with the correct openings, you could relocate the existing switches to the matching positions.

Old 07-04-21, 03:34 PM
D
Ok, I think I thought of a way to modify my existing light switch. Does anyone know where I can get a dummy or a flat something that's square like the new light switch will be? What I'm thinking is I could put that dummy thing there. Then I'll paint over it. Then I'll place the old light switch plate on it which will then hopefully make a perfect rectangle exactly where I need to cut. Then I'll use a torch to heat up a razor blade so I can cut it out exactly around the paint marks. I think it would work. But where do I get something I can temporarily put in that spot that is flat? Maybe a rocker switch. But the whole surface won't touch. Maybe if I use a rocker switch and cover it with masking tape to make it flat and paint that.

Old 07-04-21, 03:50 PM
D
Changed my mind. I found a light switch for the two vertical light switches so I can replace them so they'll fit the large rectangle opening. I then found a switch plate that has two large openings and two normal openings. I'll have to move the switches around. I guess no biggy. Sometimes those wires can be a pain to rearrange...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: