DIY Lantern

Old 07-04-21, 09:23 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DIY Lantern

Hello all. I have a DIY project for converting a wooden candle lantern into an electrical one with a 100% dimmable switch. I have completed one already and used a hanging pendant light mounted upside down. Itís beautiful and people love it. I got a smaller lantern so the fixture can fill up more of the space. I would like to install an inline switch due to space issues but only find 2 wire switches. Can the fixture be used without being grounded to the electrical system? If so, how?

Old 07-04-21, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,892 Upvotes on 3,489 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You walk a fine line when "building" fixtures. Usually you are doing something that is not inspected or approved. Most light fixtures, table lamps, etc. sold in the States carry a UL certification. That means the fixture was constructed safely and has passed basic safety standards. You can be liable if one of your fixtures causes a fire or shock.

Most plug in fixtures are not grounded. They are connected with a two wire lamp cord. The metal parts of the fixture must be insulated from the lighting parts like the socket or the fixture will need to be grounded.

Most floor/table lamps would use an inline two wire dimmer.
Something like this would be a good choice..... inline dimmer

Old 07-05-21, 09:50 AM
T
Received 190 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Consider using a wall-wart power supply and making your candles low-voltage. Interesting "flame" LEDs are available and general light color is selectable.
LEDs can be dimmed, but both the LED lamp and the dimmer must be dimable AND compatible (PWM dimming).

Old 07-05-21, 02:35 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DIY Lantern

Thank you for your help. The first one I made is grounded. I purchased a dimmer switch and a three wire power tool replacement cord. It still sits on our shelf. I will seek other avenues I suppose since I donít want to risk life or injury.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: