Grounding wire for lutron s2-lfsq-wh

Old 07-17-21, 07:03 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grounding wire for lutron s2-lfsq-wh

Hi everyone,
i have installed a lutron s2-lfsq-wh light switch (fan and dimmer) before but there was a grounding wire readily available. I am trying to do the same but it looks like the grounding wire is attached to the back receptacle on a screw head. Can I detach it and install the grounding wire onto the fixture? Or do I leave it, install the other wires, and cap the grounding wire from the fixture? Asking for a friend. See attached picture.

Replacing this Lutron S2-LF (no grounding wire) with a lutron s2-lfsq-wh (with grounding wire).

Old 07-17-21, 08:02 PM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
Did you mean attached to the box? You leave it attached to the box and connect the new ground wire to it or to a second screw that most boxes have.

Old 07-19-21, 01:42 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Clarification

Yes, the box in the wall already has 4 wires that I need coming out but the copper one which I think is the grounding wire is wrapped around the a screw in the same box. So it is not available for me to use. The new light fixture has 4 wires with one being the grounding wire that the older one did not have.

Can I remove the grounding wire from the screw it is wrapped around in the box and connect it to the new light fixture?

Last edited by prruiz90; 07-19-21 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 07-19-21, 05:23 AM
A
Received 274 Upvotes on 250 Posts
Cut a 5" length of bare wire of the same size as the ground wire in the box. Remove that ground wire end from the screw and wire nut it to the short piece (pigtail) and to the fixture ground wire. Connect the other end of the pigtail to the back of the box.

Alternate method, might not be allowed in your city. Fasten the fixture ground wire to the outer edge of the box using a clip sold separately for that purpose.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: