Installing fan support box when joists don't touch drywall

Old 07-22-21, 09:42 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing fan support box when joists don't touch drywall

I'm replacing an old florescent light fixture on the first floor where there was no junction box. I want to install a fan rated box and brace (no access from above) though I'm only doing a light fixture right now, I want to have the option for something heavier later. Got a box/brace kitcut the hole in the ceiling, then found a problem. The drywall isn't attached to the joists in the ceiling. Instead, there are 2x4s laying flat under the joists, running perpendicular. This means the bottom of the joists are a good 1.5" above the sheetrock, so I can't attach the brace to those and have the box accessible outside the drywall. The perpendicular 2x4s aren't tall enough to accommodate the bracket either.
Any ideas on how to mount a junction box in this situation? Because of the location of joists and the 2x4s, mounting a box directly to those isn't an option.

Thanks

Old 07-22-21, 09:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
Put perpendicular blocking between the joists that rests on the drywall or fill the void under the joists with 2x2 or 2x4.

Old 07-22-21, 11:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,880 Upvotes on 3,477 Posts
It sounds like 2x4's were installed as furring over the existing ceiling for new sheetrock. Why ?

Typically furring strips aren't strong enough. 2x4's should be.
You could mount a box to the bottom of the 2x4 furring if it were in the right location.
I would want to add an extra screw or two from the furring strip to the original joists.

As I think xSleeper was mentioning.... you may have to install your own 2x4 furring in the needed location.

Then you'd use a fan rated pancake box.

Old 07-23-21, 04:12 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: