Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know of a good full power fluorescent ballast for the FT-36 Lamps?

Old 07-26-21, 05:47 AM
Received 78 Upvotes on 73 Posts

I bought a SADELITE a few years ago and my replacement ballast died (again!) Does a better one exist that is full-power (Ballast Factor >1.00)

I used a Fulham RHA-254-LT5 it, fits well the actual ballast does I had to break one of the mounting feet off it is still mounted securely though.

I can't use one of those advance ones as they are like 2' long and this 9.5" one barely fit!

The older Fulham RHA-254-LT5 listed the FT-36 (PL-L 36/DT-36 each manufacturer has their own name for the long twin 2G11 lamps!) The new ones dropped that lamp type and the one I bought is one of those!

Did this contribute to why it died?
This fixture is not long enough for the 40W ones either.

I have a stack of the FT-36 (5000K) lamps so I'd really love to get this working again.

Also what does "Current Crest Factor" mean?

New data sheet on the left older version on the right side.
Thanks

Old 07-26-21, 06:48 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Rather than trying to revive that antient technology you should consider converting to LED, simpler, cheaper, more light. You will not be disappointed!

Old 07-26-21, 07:27 AM
How did I know someone was going to say this?

antient technology
While the technology maybe ancient the reliability is very good (well not the electronic ballasts though)

You will not be disappointed!
Yes I will I hate this LED CRAP that is made now, plus I have a whole stock pile of the FT-36 lamps to use up anyway.

Old 07-26-21, 01:32 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Ohhh, your the one that has commented on this in the past.

But, I have to say I have yet to find anybody that regrets swapping over. I did most of my garage and basements lights 6-7 years ago and would never go back, I hated that antiquated (got that spelled right) lighting technology!

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 07-27-21, 10:39 AM
Ohhh, your the one that has commented on this in the past
Yep!

I actually don't mind some of the LED stuff but what I do mind are

#1 Manufactures making false claims "Lasts 25 years *"

#2 Basically no standardization of parts even if replacement parts are available they won't be stocked or made that long. I will not get an LED integrated thing for that reason, if the fixture has a screw base yes as if that lamp fails just screw in another one.

#3 They obliterate the AM/FM band (well basically any cheap switching power supply does this even my Fulham did to some extent)

* = if used for 3 hours a day! I mean come on it is darker for more then 3 hours even in the summer time!

I don't want any LED for this yet as I said I have a stack of lamps to use. I don't want another Fulham as this is my second failure with these! And the Advance ones are too long to fit in the bottom of the lamp where the ballast is.

The small recessed can ballasts would work as I can drill holes and uses screws and nuts but I am having issues finding a full power one (Ballast Factor 1.00->) for the FT-36 2G11 lamps

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: