Ceiling Fan Wiring Question

Old 08-07-21, 04:40 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Wiring Question

Hello all - I'm adding a ceiling fan to a living room and I'm having trouble finding an accessible power source. I do have a switch next to where I want to add the new fan switch. It powers an existing ceiling light fixture, but it's an end-line switch, so I can't pull power from that existing switch box. My thought is to disconnect the power (which must be directly connected to the existing ceiling light), install a junction box in the attic to house that power source, and run two new cables from that source - one back to the existing ceiling light and one to the new ceiling fan switch. This power source is far and away the easiest to access in this area. Does this sound like a reasonable plan, or am I missing something? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Old 08-07-21, 10:49 AM
B
Received 306 Upvotes on 271 Posts
The power wire and the neutral wire on any load should be from the same cable exiting the breaker panel. If the existing switch box for the ceiling light has the circuit neutral wire available, you can pick up the hot and neutral for the fan switch box there. You will need to run a 2 conductor with ground cable from the new fan box to the new fan switch box. Your solution will also work.

Old 08-07-21, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,046 Upvotes on 3,630 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Run a cable from your existing source of power directly to the new fan box. An intermediate splice should not be needed. Run a three wire cable from the new fan box to the fan switch location.

Old 08-07-21, 11:09 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks much for the advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: