Adding ceiling fan

Old 08-15-21, 07:19 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding ceiling fan

Right now I have two bedrooms where the light switch runs half of an outlet. Iím adding ceiling fans and want the switch to work them and have the outlet be hot all the time. Would I just connect the white and blacks together and pigtail to the switch and just cap off the red traveler at both the switch and outlet?
Thanks for the help!
Ryan

Old 08-15-21, 08:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,989 Upvotes on 3,580 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

So currently you have a three wire cable from each switch to switched receptacle.
If that is correct..... the white wire should just be capped off at the switch.
You would combine the red and black wires in a splice and add a short tail to go to the switch.
You'd install a new two wire cable to the fan. White to white and black to the empty terminal on the switch.

If this wiring doesn't match what you have....post a picture of wiring in each box for us.
How-to-insert-pictures .

Old 08-15-21, 09:10 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,267 Upvotes on 1,207 Posts
FWIW, I like three wire cable run to the fan, that way both the fan and the light kit can be switched at the wall. Note this may entail drywall work and replacing the existing box so it's not just as simple as choosing a different cable.

Old 08-15-21, 12:56 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes you are correct on the wiring. Hot two wire coming in to the switch box and then 3 wire going out to the receptacle. This was very helpful. Thank you!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: