Removing the PL-190B wattage limiter from fan

Old 08-15-21, 01:42 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Removing the PL-190B wattage limiter from fan

After frying the wattage limiter while testing the light socket, I looked at another thread here on bypassing the PL-190B which had worked the individual and applied the same. The difference is that my fan (Minka Aire Concept II) has a remote, therefore a receiver in the fan. From the receiver there are 2 wires labeled "for light" coming out: a withe one and a blue one (see picture). So, after removing the PL-190B, I left the white wire coming from the light with the white wire from the receiver, and nutted back the black wire coming from the light to the blue wire coming from the receiver. Straight forward right? I don't see another sensible way to do it. Now the light works fine... but from the wall switch only. The remote works well to control the fan but not the light. So is it possible the remote/receiver were using the fried wattage limiter to operate the light? Or is it possible the short damaged the lighting portion of the receiver as well?

Old 08-17-21, 05:08 PM
Received 78 Upvotes on 73 Posts
Yes the receiver is more then likely damaged any short or even a small surge can destroy them!

guy.le.blanc voted this post useful.
Old 08-18-21, 08:35 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply @CircuitBreaker. Minka Aire support said the same thing. Indeed, I just replaced the receiver and the problem is solved. Everything works fine and without the wattage reducer. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: