Recessed lights without ground

Old 08-17-21, 08:52 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recessed lights without ground

Iím trying to add 3 new recessed lights in my
bathroom and use the wiring from the old light to power them. The old light was a canned recessed light and when I took it out I noticed that there were only 2 wires (black, white) and no ground. The 2 wires are inside a metal conduit however. The new lights I want to install have a small
metal box for each light that have the black and white wires and a bare ground thatís attached to the inside of the box. Iím not sure sure if I can just wire all 3 lights with just the black and white wires. What do I do with the ground thatís in each box?

Old 08-18-21, 01:15 PM
Z
Received 121 Upvotes on 112 Posts
Hi Nikita Ė

Iím not one of the electrical guys but I think that flexible metallic conduit you are holding in the pic might be a valid ground path Ė if it connects back to the ground somewhere. I would think then, if you connect that flexible metallic conduit to the metallic box, and also connect the fixture ground wire to the box, you would have a valid ground.

I think if you turn on the power and use a meter and see 120v across the black and white wire, and then test from the black wire to that flexible metallic conduit and then also see 120v, then I think you would know the flexible metallic conduit is grounded.

Maybe one of the electrical guys will confirm that. Couldnít hurt to test Ė as long as you are careful.

Old 08-18-21, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 731 Posts
That "conduit" is really the tail off a junction box that is part of the can assembly. Stick your hand up in the attic and you will find the junction box. Those wires are also too short.

What you should do is remove that tail and wiring from the junction box and install some new wiring (NM-b cable) off the junction box to the new wafer LED lights. In the junction box you will likely find all the wires you are looking for. (Hot, Neutral, ground) Make sure when running the NM cable (Romex) that you use the proper connectors to connect the cable to the metal boxes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: