Wiring exhaust fan in older home.

Old 08-21-21, 01:22 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring exhaust fan in older home.

Hi, I'm having some trouble wiring an exhaust fan in my bathroom. I have an older house that had one of those ceiling heaters which still worked. I removed it and wired up the exhaust fan but I can't get the fan to work . To test the fan I removed a light fixture and wired up the fan and it works fine.
Curious thing is at the switch the wires are black and red. but in the ceiling the wires are red and white.
The wires are thicker since it powered a heater, but i wouldnt think that would affect it working or not. Any ideas whats wrong?

Old 08-21-21, 03:30 PM
Received 160 Upvotes on 146 Posts
Hi, post some pics of the fixture, which wires were on the heater?
Geo 🇺🇸

Old 08-21-21, 04:10 PM
B
Photo

This is what is up in the ceiling that was connected to the heater. The black wire in the conduit goes elsewhere. As I said in the switch is a black and red wire

Last edited by Blenn Gernard; 08-21-21 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 08-21-21, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 731 Posts
The two conduits should be connected to a box. The black is the hot going to the switch and the red is the switch leg to the fan/heater. You will need to pull the black back to the ceiling location, install the conduits to the new fan or accessible box location, and then repull the black wire back to the switch. Another option (and likely better) is to splice the black at the new fan.

Old 08-22-21, 08:42 AM
B
Wiring

I donít get why the old heater operated fine without the black wire being connected.. the red and white were the only ones connected..frustrating

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: