Wire nut question.

Old 09-18-21, 01:11 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Wire nut question.

Hello. I just installed an outdoor motion detector porch light at my front door. I did not tape over the wire nuts. The original ones were taped. Is tape required? Im not sure if i should take it apart and tape it. The silicone may be dry by now. I did make sure the nuts were secure. Im sure the added protection of the tape is a good thing, but is it worth taking it apart again?
thanks.

Old 09-18-21, 01:23 PM
B
Received 235 Upvotes on 208 Posts
Regular wire nuts do not come with silicone or tape. Both can be used in an attempt to make a waterproof connection. Why do you have to take the connections apart to tape?

Old 09-18-21, 03:22 PM
J
Received 477 Upvotes on 393 Posts
Tape is not required.

Old 09-18-21, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 672 Upvotes on 570 Posts
Tape provides no benefit on properly installed wire nuts.

Old 09-18-21, 04:35 PM
H
Received 277 Upvotes on 237 Posts
Originally Posted by frankjc
Hello. I just installed an outdoor motion detector porch light at my front door. I did not tape over the wire nuts. The original ones were taped. Is tape required? Im not sure if i should take it apart and tape it. The silicone may be dry by now. I did make sure the nuts were secure. Im sure the added protection of the tape is a good thing, but is it worth taking it apart again?
thanks.
Probably not worth taking apart.
BUT, my father & uncle assembled sensitive electronics in the 1950s-1980s, and I was taught that you electric tape the ends of the wires into a bundle, then twist them into a spline, then wire nut them together, then wrap a seal around the wire nut with electric tape.

During Hurricane Ida, I DID have a circuit breaker dead-short because the wires were so wet from condensation that they arced. I've also found that outdoor lights on GFCI circuits can trip because of condensation, or a hard storm that blows water up behind the light mount and into the box.

Old 09-18-21, 09:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,417 Upvotes on 3,064 Posts
Electrical tape on wire nuts used outside will only hold water and moisture in.
After installing the wire nuts.....position them open end down and all will be fine.

If you are concerned by excessive moisture.... use gel filled wire nuts.

Same as the old wife's tale with taping extension cords used outside..... the tape could not be installed so as to keep the water out but it did a great job of holding the water in.

Old 09-19-21, 04:05 AM
B
Received 235 Upvotes on 208 Posts
Water getting into an electrical box in an electrical storm causing a breaker to open is not the fault of the wire nuts or bare wire. Stop the water from getting into the electrical box. It is the root cause of the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: