Ceiling Fan Humming Noise

Old 09-21-21, 01:29 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Humming Noise

When I turn on one of our ceiling fans, I immediately get a steady, low-level humming noise. It reminds me to some degree of the humming sound associated with older flourescent bulbs. When I Googled the issue, I found lots of comments about loose screws, loose blades or issues with remote controls, but I don't think so. The fan is on a light switch, with no remote. The sounds begins immediately when I turn it on - before any blade movement, and stops immediately when I turn it off, before the blade rotation begins to slow. I'd guess the fan is about 20 years old. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-21-21, 02:43 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,107 Upvotes on 1,886 Posts
You are probably hearing the induction. All motors make a sound to some extent. Yours may be getting louder due to bearings going or the steel laminations have loosened and are vibrating. Replacement is your option unless you want to dive deep.

PawleysDude voted this post useful.
Old 09-22-21, 12:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,887 Upvotes on 3,484 Posts
If my room is quiet I can hear my Hunter ceiling fan hum. It has since day one.
Nothing loose.... just the motor hums.
Could possibly be design of the ceiling has something to do with it.

Old 09-22-21, 05:26 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. If I listen closely, I can get a little hum from my other fans, but this one is particularly noticeable to the point of being objectionable. Hoping to avoid it, but replacement is probably the right option. I doubt the fan was top-end to begin with, and it's been around for quite awhile. Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-22-21, 08:00 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 414 Upvotes on 368 Posts
With anything buzzing/humming, I'd put a hand on it and push it up towards the ceiling. Just to be sure it's not a vibration due to loose screws or something that would be an easy fix.

I've seen it happen a number of times with doorbell transformers. They hum a little, but if they are a bit loose in the right (wrong) way, they start vibrating. Unlikely, but could be a really easy fix.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: