Ceiling Fans - One works, One doesn't

Old 10-12-21, 02:30 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fans - One works, One doesn't

Hello, out there. First post. Ran into an issue that has me stumped. I bought 2 of these fans ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Dec...5-EB/206648787 ) , installed them about 10 ft apart on the same circuit and had this issue. Both lights on the fans work, the fan at the beginning of the circuit (Fan 1) has a working fan, the one at the end of the circuit ( Fan 2) does not but it does jump a bit when the remote is pressed to "on" like it is trying to start. Tested the voltage at the fan on the end of the circuit (Fan 2) and got 119.9 to 120.0V input on the wire from Fan 1. Each remote is synced with both fans. Remote control is built in internal to fan units so it is not something I installed separately. 14/2 Romex from 1Gng switch to Fan 1 and again from Fan 1 to Fan 2. 3 wires - Blk to Blk, Wht to Wht, Gnd to Gnd. Anything I am missing? Even tried a little manual assist to see if Fan 2 would start with assistance. I believe these are DC fans.

Old 10-12-21, 03:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,884 Upvotes on 3,481 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Both fans should be working. The pull chain should be set to maximum fan speed which can be hard to tell if the fan doesn't spin. Try pulling the fan chain one time and then try the remote. Then pull the chain one more time again. See if you can find the high speed setting.

If pulling the chain doesn't affect the fan.... that would indicate a defective fan.

Old 10-18-21, 06:14 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Found the answer!

It seems there is a unit in the fan called the receiver which houses the remote control unit as well as the start-up capacitor. The problem was a bad capacitor as it was trying to start but couldn't build up enough voltage to kick the motor around! Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem. Of course, you have to uninstall thr fan and take it apart to replace the unit!

Old 10-18-21, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,884 Upvotes on 3,481 Posts
Good you found the problem.
Most people (myself included) would return the fan for replacement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: