Is it a bad idea to use rotary dimmer switch for chandelier LED lights?

Old 10-17-21, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is it a bad idea to use rotary dimmer switch for chandelier LED lights?

I replaced a chandelier's bulbs with CFL ones first, then LED. The original dimmer switch worked fine for many years. It went recently so I bought a new rotary dimmer switch to replace it. I know this may not make sense because the lights cannot be dimmed. Anyway, I hear a very low humming noise. The noise is so weak that I have to put my ear within a foot from the dimmer to hear it. I am not sure whether the previous switch had the noise because I never paid attention to it.
Is the noise normal? The lights seem to work perfectly. Is it a bad idea to use a dimmer switch in this case?

Old 10-17-21, 09:43 AM
B
Received 302 Upvotes on 267 Posts
You didn't state if the dimmer part of the the Dimmer switch ever dimmed the LEDs.. If it did, the replacement dimmer switch is not a compatible replacement. If it didn't and you can live with the humming and without dimming, use it as an off/on switch.

Hong Zhang voted this post useful.
Old 10-17-21, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,976 Upvotes on 3,569 Posts
It's not a bad idea to use a rotary dimmer but if it doesn't say for LED use then it will not last long.
If you don't need dimming just put a switch in.

Hong Zhang voted this post useful.
Old 10-17-21, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for the advice.
No, the dimmer switch does not dim the lights at all. The dimming has not worked for many years since I replaced the original incandescent bulbs with CFL ones. I will live with it until it goes then I will replace it with a regular switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: