Recessed Lights-only some work

Old 10-21-21, 09:07 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recessed Lights-only some work

Good Afternoon all,
Let me start by saying I am not a professional by any means. I am visiting my mother-in-laws house and her recessed can lights stopped working. There are 4 total lights, wired in parallel (I believe), the first light doesn’t work, the second does, and the last two don’t work either. They worked for less than a year before those three went out. They are about 2 years old now. I looked at the wires and they all appear to be wired correctly (the same as the working one at least), I manipulated the wires to see if it was a loose wire but there was no change. Any advice?

the lights are Halo65-Watt Equivalent White Round Dimmable Recessed Downlight

Thank you in advance

Old 10-21-21, 09:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
One thing you did not mention was testing the fixture with a known, working lightbulb. You can also test the lamp socket in the fixture with a meter to see if power is getting that far. Then look for opens, or a break in the circuit. This can be where the wires connect or a bad socket in the fixture. And lastly, many recessed fixtures have thermal protectors that kill power to the socket if it gets too hot, often caused by someone using a bulb of too high a wattage or insulating over a fixture that should remain open to the attic for cooling. These safety devices can fail and would need to be replaced if it's not letting power through to the socket.

Old 10-21-21, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
These might be the standalone LED units with their own drivers.
Halo 65w equivalent covers a lot of lights.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: