Trying to figure out a Metalux High Bay LED

Old 11-05-21, 11:18 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Trying to figure out a Metalux High Bay LED

Hello everyone. New here, so essentially I am doing a little pet project of recreating a natural habitat for a reptile my friend is giving me. The enclosure is 4x2x2 but I plan on upgrading it eventually to an 8x4x4 or larger... as they grow rather large.

So I thought about using these really high lumens light on a dimmer so that I don't have to keep buying new lights. While there are lights made for reptiles I wanted to try my hand at doing something myself.

I am trying to make it so that this light could be used like a regular light fixture (think of an aquarium hoodlight or a lamp or something portable).

I went to home depot, the guy told me if I wanted to do that I needed to get this thing with the 3 wires and make it so that I could wire that which has a 3 prong wall plug and attach it to a some wires in there.. I understand nothing about this, thought about hiring an electrician but some people are asking for 200$... so I thought I might give it a shot myself first....

I am hoping you guys could figure out how to work that out.

Getting a plug-in type of dimmer... basically you plug the light into the dimmer, and the dimmer into an outlet....

Old 11-06-21, 03:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,756 Upvotes on 1,569 Posts
First, is that light dimmable? If it is not designed to be dimmed, adding a dimmer might not work.

Undo the black twist tie holding the light's wiring bundle together so you can better see. You are probably looking for a black, white and yellow/green wire for your electrical connections. I think I see the black and yellow/green in your photos but the wires are too jumbled to be certain.

Old 11-06-21, 06:08 AM
R
@Pilot Dane: I will take further pictures later. Do you know how hot these get? Its for an enclosure. Wanted to see how much heat it produces

Old 11-06-21, 09:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Plan on whatever wattage the fixture and dimmer consumes is heat. So, I'd consider this light to be a 166 watt space heater.

Yes, operating a LED at less than maximum power will extend it's life. But, don't forget that there is a lot of electronics used to feed the LED's and a failure there will kill the light. I wouldn't count on a overpowered fixture and a dimmer running at partial power to have a longer life. Each component in the dimmer is a point of failure so having a dimmer might make the setup less reliable.

Unless it's a super difficult area to access I don't worry about the lifespan of a LED. It it's sorta difficult I might turn the light on and let it run for a few days to weed out infant mortality. Other than that I just test to make sure it works and install it.

---
I have many LED grow lights. When a light dies 1/4 of the time it's something in the emitter array. The other 3/4 of the time it is the power supply that dies. I now run mostly lights that have separate emitters (light fixture) and power supply. Then, when it dies it's less expensive to replace just the failed power supply.

Old 11-06-21, 10:45 AM
R
what do you mean by infant mortality or whatever? I will be taking pics could you help wire it?

Old 11-06-21, 10:58 AM
R
here are pics

Old 11-06-21, 11:03 AM
Received 314 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Getting a plug-in type of dimmer... basically you plug the light into the dimmer, and the dimmer into an outlet....
Doesn't seem like that will work if you observe the black label about dimmer connections in the third picture of your original post. Sound like a dimmer made specifically for the fixture controlled by a low voltage source is needed.

Old 11-06-21, 11:08 AM
R
what about just making it so i can plug it into the wall atleast?

Old 11-06-21, 12:55 PM
Depends on whether dimmer control is mandatory or optional. From the way that the purple and grey wires are capped it could be optional. Is there a wiring diagram on the fixture housing the you can show us? Or a Cooper model number.

Connecting the cordset using wire nuts with black to live conductor, white to neutral conductor, and green/yellow to grounding conductor will probably get it to work. One problem you may have is that the plug could arc when plugged in or removed from the outlet due to the type of load. That should not be a problem unless you have AFCI breakers.

Old 11-06-21, 12:57 PM
R
afci breakers? so i guess i should leave this to an electrician

Old 11-06-21, 01:09 PM
AFCI = arc fault circuit interrupter

Do you know if you have AFCI breakers? Even if you do, installing a switch to control the light instead of relying on the plug will avoid any problem. But if you are going to plug it in once and leave it on there will be limited opportunity for arcing. An alternative would be to plug it into an outlet that is controlled by a switch if you have any of those. Switch should be OFF when plugging in.

Provide a MetaLux or Cooper model number so we can find out more about what you have.

i guess i should leave this to an electrician
If you are not comfortable making wire connections and plugging it in, you may have to. Or find a friend who is knowledgeable about electrical.

Old 11-06-21, 01:20 PM
R
Unfortunately I don't know if I have that. As for friends, what are those? 😪

I was going to plug it into a tripplite surge protector. I want to make this as safe as possible.

The supposed electrician told me to just plug that into a dimmer (basically wire it to have a wall plug, then plug that into a plug in dimmer and that into an outlet)

I just want to make it safe.

Old 11-06-21, 05:06 PM
R
Anyone got any ideas?

Old 11-06-21, 06:09 PM
Need model numbers to do more research.

Old 11-06-21, 06:25 PM
R
will this work?

I am very tempted to just return it and look for an led that puts out 22k or more lumens and is 4k color or higher.

One that can plug into the wall and cover 2x2 space equally

Old 11-07-21, 04:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
I would use a grow light. They are available in different shapes, sizes, power levels, many have variable output and most publish what their output spectrum is.

Since you need the light intensity for an animal make sure you pick a light that puts out what the animal needs. It might not be as simple as light intensity alone. If they need a certain amount or blend in the UV spectrum make sure the light you pick produces the needed wavelength. Keep in mind this is not color temperature which is a marketing number invented for how the light looks to human eyes.

Old 11-07-21, 06:56 AM
R
Ah they already have the UVB light. They just need a bright light. what about those warehouse ufo leds? apparently they have piwercord

Old 11-07-21, 07:05 AM
Well the full view of the black label is saying that a dimmer is mandatory. I was able to find out more about the fixture by Googling "HBLAO2350C" but no clear information about what type of dimmer or whether it will work without one.

I think you should look for another fixture following Pilot Dane's suggestions.

Old 11-07-21, 07:07 AM
R
Any recommendation for brands? somethinng in the 6500 color

Old 11-07-21, 02:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
What size area do you want to illuminate?
What amount of light do you want in that area?
How high will the light be mounted?

Old 11-07-21, 03:18 PM
R
Honestly. I am going to use a lower lumens. I wanted to light up a 2x2x2 area of an enclosure, but equally. So it's not like super bright in one area...

Old 11-08-21, 04:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
A grow light would be perfect. All of these lights produce a "white" light so your animal and rocks will look natural. And these are grow lights so if you want live plants in the enclosure... Also, keep the wattage in mind. These are LED's and the average 100w equivalent light bulb consumes about 12 watts so all these lights are MUCH more powerful. All of these lights are the more modern "no fan" type and do all of their cooling through the aluminum frame and are totally silent.

Here are three low end lights to consider. They have a good reputation and are only considered low end because of their price and they are Chinese brands. Mars Hydro is by far the most popular and I know many people using their lights with good results. All of these lights will consume about 100 watts at full power.
Spider Farmer
Vivosun
Mars Hydro

KIND LED is another brand to consider. It is a more expensive "premium" brand but they do stand behind their warranty. For your project I would consider the 2' long models. (X40) which consume 40 watts. That will put out a lot of light but keep in mind it is less than half the horsepower of the others so you could add a second light for more even coverage or try one of each spectra. They are available in two different spectra. The veg version spectum is much heavier on the blue end (higher color temperature) while the flower version is a lower color temperature containing more red and is a similar spectra to all the other lights I've linked.
KIND X series

One brand I really like is Horticultural Lighting Group. Like KIND they are a premium, US brand with a very strong reputation but more expensive. The B spec light produces a higher color temperature (veg) while the R spec is a lower color temp (flower) spectrum. These lights are capable of 300 watts so capable of MUCH more power if you ever want to use the light to cover a larger area. When cranked up sunglasses are required.
HLG 300 B spec
HLG 300 R spec
If you look at their less expensive 65 and 100 watt panels keep in mind that those are fixed power. The only way you will be able to control the lighting is by raising and lowering the fixture.

Old 11-08-21, 05:00 AM
R
Yeah I dont touch chinese brands. Probably gonna do hlg

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 11-08-21, 05:50 PM
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
will this work?
Yes it says 0-10V dimmer required

4*

*= I made my own for my 2 Lamp dimming fluorescent ballast you need to know to how to solder (and need some 18 - 22 AWG wire) this is low voltage this is basically only a signal and the actual dimming is done inside the ballast or driver (LED power supply)

I don't mess with LED junk much but this is what you need to make it work.
I assume power only would make it come on full 100% brightness.
I would use your power strip for a switch.
I hope I helped

Old 11-08-21, 05:59 PM
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
I assume power only would make it come on full 100% brightness.
Yes if you want dimming look at my Post above but if dimming is not needed (but it is in your use case) the wires must be capped separately as in not in the same wire nut or other splice.

Old 11-08-21, 06:01 PM
R
I got rather frustrated and ended up returming them. 😪

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: