Bathroom wiring help

Old 11-21-21, 05:12 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom wiring help

Can a vanity light and an exhaust fan/light be powered by a GFCI outlet circuit?

Old 11-21-21, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,117 Upvotes on 3,697 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I believe you can power a vanity light and exhaust fan off of a GFI circuit as long as the circuit is in that bathroom only. If a GFI receptacle/circuit feeds other receptacles outside that bathroom then you cannot connect to it.

Old 11-22-21, 04:05 AM
S
Thank you for answering! I just wanted confirmation that what Iím doing is acceptable. The breaker tripped after wiring was completed and I know I did everything correctly. I think I will have to replace the breaker with a 20 amp breaker. The current one is a 15 and one of the outlets I added was a GFCI.

Old 11-22-21, 04:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
NO, NO, NO... You cannot simply swap to a higher capacity breaker. What size is ALL the wiring on the bathroom circuit? That will determine what size may be used.

If the breaker is tripping after you did wiring changes then it is possible you have wired something incorrectly causing a short.

Old 11-29-21, 02:59 AM
S
Itís all 12/2

The wiring is all 12/2 and itís done correctly. I had to have an electrician come out because it wasnít my circuit, it was the panel. The main line coming in from the road was arching and the whole panel needed to be updated. He checked my wiring and said it was fine and that it wasnít anything wrong past the main breaker. So now I have a new feed, meter box, and breaker panel. Thanks for all your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: