Snaking wire thru a wall

Old 11-28-21, 09:33 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Snaking wire thru a wall

Iím adding a vent fan to a bathroom and need to get the extra wire from a wall mounted switch box up to the attic. Any special tricks for this? The existing romex goes in a hole in the top of the header and down to an existing original metal box nailed to a stud. Should I hit out the old box and replace with plastic? Drill a second hole in the header next to the original one? Just wondering if anyone has any tricks or techniques to make this easierÖ.

TexasFire

Old 11-28-21, 10:19 AM
Received 391 Upvotes on 340 Posts
Sounds like you have access in the attic. If the existing hole is big enough you could run the new Romex through it. Otherwise a new hole through the header. If you are adding a second switch for the fan you will need a bigger box anyway unless you are using a duplex switch. Removing the box to fish cable is easier than trying to fish through the box, If the wall is not open the new Romex does not have to be fastened to the stud.

Old 11-28-21, 04:55 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
As John mentioned, it's really hard to fish into an existing box. Possible, but quite challenging.

I too would recommend cutting out the existing box. I find the easiest way is to use a sawzall and carefully cut the nail at the top/bottom of the box by running the saw blade between the stud and the box. If you're careful, you won't even need any drywall repair.

The open hole will allow you to easily fish the cable down from the attic, and you'll replace it with a 2-gang old-work box.

Old 11-28-21, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 881 Upvotes on 744 Posts
If the existing box is a single gang nail on box it might be easier to remove the existing box, However, if the existing box is a 4"x 4" box with a mud ring then it might be easier to just remove a KO and fish into the box. We had to do this exact thing on 200 townhomes.

To fish into the existing box remove a KO of the box and shine a flashlight into the hole. Drill through the top plate, making sure not to hit any other cables. I recommend a 3/4"-7/8" hole. Take some fish sticks and push them down the wall into the switch box open hole. https://www.harborfreight.com/electr...kit-65327.html Tie on your new cable with electrical tape and pull up the cable to the fan location. Make sure to use a connector to connect the cable to the box. These can be inserted from the inside of the box: Arlington | White Button? Non-Metallic Push-In Connectors

If this doesn't make sense, or you have a single gang handy box, please post a picture of what you are working with.

Old 11-28-21, 06:02 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Itís a double gang box with two single switches that I plan to change to a duplex switch on one side. I didnít get a chance to get into it today. I may try and fish it into the box with fish sticks (thanks for the link, been meaning to get some of those anyway) and if that doesnít work Iíll just remove the box. Thanks for the tips!

TexasFire

Last edited by TexasFire; 11-28-21 at 06:48 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: