Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Outlet controlled by light switch not working after installing new switches/plug

Outlet controlled by light switch not working after installing new switches/plug

Old 12-05-21, 12:20 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Hello. I'm going through my office and installing new switches and plugs. I have two switches by the door. One switch has always controlled the overhead light. The other switch controlled a plug on the opposite corner of the room.

After installing new switches (single pole) and new plugs it no longer controls the plug across the room. But the plug across the room is always on.

So to troubleshoot...
• I accidentally installed a 3-way switch, tested it and it doesn't control the plug.
• Installed a single-pole switch, tested it and it doesn't control the plug.
• Swapped the wires on the single-pole (thinking I did it backward), and it doesn't control the plug.

Not sure what to do next. Any thoughts? It was working yesterday before I put the new switches on.

Old 12-05-21, 01:36 PM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
If the plug was only half switched then you have to remove the jumper/tab between the two gold screws.

Old 12-05-21, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,877 Upvotes on 3,475 Posts
Old 12-11-21, 10:28 AM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks!

Awesome. Thank you so much. It works.

One thing to note for others who may read this, the bridge gets removed on the side with the black wire. At least that is what worked for me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: