T8 4000K LED tubes too bright - non dimmable

Old 12-10-21, 02:11 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
T8 4000K LED tubes too bright - non dimmable

I recently installed these in recessed 1 x 4 troffers with clear prismatic diffusers in a drywall ceiling and the light is too bright. The supplier has suggested rotating the tubes to point up so the light is reflected off of the fixture, but I don't think this will mute the light enough. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I could soften the light?

Thanks

Jack P.

Old 12-11-21, 05:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,261 Upvotes on 2,014 Posts
When I switched my office from fluorescent to LED tubes I went from four bulbs per fixture to two. Unlike fluorescents where you had to have pairs of bulbs in place with LED's you can install however many bulbs you want to use.

Turning the bulbs over will help. How much it dampens the light will depend on your fixtures but it will be dimmer.

Those bulbs come in different power levels. I've found 4000k T8 bulbs in ranging between 12 and 18+ watts. You didn't say the wattage of your bulbs but you can try lower powered ones.

I find 4000k bulbs to "seem" brighter than cooler color temperatures. You can try 3000 or 3500k bulbs to see if they seem less bright to you.

Old 12-11-21, 07:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Install only one lamp or cover the lens with some white paper or something else to filter the light.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 12-11-21, 11:17 AM
Received 396 Upvotes on 345 Posts
I have had several similar experiences in converting to LEDs.

A bathroom fan/light combination came with a non-replaceable 60W equivalent LED that I initially considered too bright. I tried taping over parts of the lens and using semi-transparent film over the entire lens but the results were less satisfactory than just putting up with the brightness. Eventually I stopped noticing it.

I another section of the same bath and in another bath I replaced 60W equivalent CFLs with 40W equivalent LEDs in bare bulb fixtures and although appearing slightly brighter the overall effect is not especially noticeable.

In a recessed kitchen cove fixture with prismatic lens a 4-foot LED in line with an 8-foot LED seemed much brighter. I turned the 4 footer so the reflector is at the bottom and although there is a slightly darker line visible (to those of us who look) the overall brightness difference in the lamps seems less.

Two-lamp 8-foot suspended fixtures in the basement workshop were retrofitted with 4-lamp 4-foot LEDs and the overall effect seems slightly brighter but not objectionable due to the unfinished, unpainted ceiling above. When I get around to converting similar fixtures in my vacation home shop, I plan to use only 2 4-footers in place of 4.

A single lamp in a troffer or diffusing material as Tolyn suggested may help, but in time I think the appearance will become background.

Old 12-14-21, 07:48 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Smile

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. The tubes are 18W clear, I probably should have used a lower wattage and a frosted tube.

I rotated the tubes as the supplier suggested and it did mute the light enough to reduce the glare.

Jack P.

2john02458 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: