Wiring bathroom fan and night light to occupancy switch

Old 12-20-21, 06:52 PM
X
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring bathroom fan and night light to occupancy switch

Just had bathroom remodel and had new exhaust fan installed, Panasonic with led main light and led night light. Contractor didn't wire the night light to anything since there were not enough wires. Based on installation diagram, can I wire the night light black wire to bathroom black? The bathroom fan is controlled by an occupancy sensor and would be very convenient if a night light went on automatically.

Old 12-21-21, 08:01 AM
Received 324 Upvotes on 277 Posts
Yes, you can connect the night light to the same wire as the fan. They will both come on at the same time.

I had a similar situation with a new Panasonic unit when I remodeled, however the fan was also capable of running at multiple speeds. It would run at a very low speed continuously to provide constant air exchange and then at a higher speed (controlled by occupancy) to exhaust bathroom odor/humidity when needed. Due to my existing wiring (no unswitched power), I could not use that one and installed a different unit.

If your Panasonic is similar, then the night light may be always on since the fan may be always running but at different speeds. The power consumption of the LED night light is so small that "always on" may not be a problem.

xxhaimbondxx voted this post useful.
Old 12-21-21, 10:00 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 367 Upvotes on 327 Posts
Based on the wiring diagram, if you connect the fan and night light to the same incoming (always hot) line, the night light will be on 24/7 and the fan will be controlled by the occupancy sensor. This likely isn't a bad thing, but not sure it's what you want. The wiring diagram doesn't show any way to connect the night light to the occupancy sensor.

Old 12-22-21, 05:16 AM
X
hmmm, may not worth going through all the trouble, since it's already closed up and I would have to come through the attic, where I don't think I'll have access anyway. Seems outlet light is much simpler.

Old 12-22-21, 05:00 PM
X
Quick update, the electrical box was easily accessible from the attic after moving away blown-in insulation. Connecting black wires gave desired effect, the night light comes on with the fan and shuts off automatically.

Side note, the occupancy switch is too sensitive even on low sensitivity setting. Even though it is mounted behind the wall, it turns on when someone walks by the bathroom as if it reacts to shadows.

Old 12-22-21, 05:36 PM
Received 324 Upvotes on 277 Posts
If the sensor is exposed in the bathroom it might be reacting to reflections. If there is a screen portion you might be able to reduce the sensing area with tape. Check the manual for suggestions in addition to sensitivity setting.

xxhaimbondxx voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: