Dimmer Switch for Ceiling Fans with Pull Cords??

Old 12-29-21, 10:05 AM
P
Received 27 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Dimmer Switch for Ceiling Fans with Pull Cords??

Can a ceiling fan with a pull cord for changing fan speed and a cord for dimming the lights be controlled by (properly rated) dimmer switches? Or does have the pull cord dimmer mean it can only be controlled by on/off switches?

I'm trying to see if I can get fan speed and light brightness control at the light switch instead of using the pull strings.

Top Answer

12-29-21, 12:46 PM
2john02458
Received 396 Upvotes on 345 Posts
If there are separate switches for fan and light then you can use a dimmer for the lights and a fan control for the fan or a combination dimmer/fan control switch or smart switch. The pull cords would be left in the full ON position(s).

If there is only one switch controlling power to the fan/light combo then you cannot use a dimmer or fan control switch. You might be able to find a remote control that has a receiver at the fan to control the lights and fan speed separately.

Old 12-29-21, 12:46 PM
Received 396 Upvotes on 345 Posts
If there are separate switches for fan and light then you can use a dimmer for the lights and a fan control for the fan or a combination dimmer/fan control switch or smart switch. The pull cords would be left in the full ON position(s).

If there is only one switch controlling power to the fan/light combo then you cannot use a dimmer or fan control switch. You might be able to find a remote control that has a receiver at the fan to control the lights and fan speed separately.

pbct2019, PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 12-29-21, 03:06 PM
P
Received 27 Upvotes on 23 Posts
great; I have two switches. I just wasn't sure if the dimmer switch and fan control switch were compatible with the pull strings.

thanks for the help.

Old 12-29-21, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,082 Upvotes on 3,665 Posts
The fan pull switch should be high-med-low-off.
The light fan pull switch should just be on-off.

If you installed a dimmer or variable fan control..... the fan would be left in the high position and the light would be left on.

2john02458, pbct2019 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: