Rewired my old fluorescent fixture to LED tubes

Old 12-29-21, 12:49 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rewired my old fluorescent fixture to LED tubes

I just direct wired my old fluorescent fixture to LED T8/T12 tubes and bypassed the ballast. now I get a glow from the four tubes but no real light, just a soft glow. what can be causing this

Old 12-29-21, 12:56 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,116 Upvotes on 1,895 Posts
Make sure you follow the instructions for your LED replacement tubes. One type has hot and neutral wired to the same end of the bulb with nothing connected to the other end. The second type gets wired with hot to one end of the bulb and neutral to the other end.

Old 12-29-21, 01:52 PM
M
Wires connected as shown.

Old 12-29-21, 02:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
You are showing wiring that supplies hot to one end of the tube and neutral to the other end.
Tubes can also come with the hot and neutral both at one end and nothing at the opposite end.
There should be a diagram with the tube.

Your wiring is currently as D. It may need to be F.

Old 12-29-21, 10:44 PM
M
I wanted D as i did not want to totally rewire the fixture any more than necessary as I have a disability that prevents me from doing things for too long. That being said I found the problem was in the sockets and so I went to a hybrid tube, and everything is working great now. I really appreciate the help on this because it helped me think outside the box. I trained long before they came out with this LED stuff and retired before that too. Also never did much with fluorescents except install and hard wire them in.
Again, Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: