Pulling clipped socket through sheet metal

Old 12-29-21, 09:45 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pulling clipped socket through sheet metal

I have a Broan Allure QS3 range hood. The light sockets each have two clips that hold them in place on the sheet metal (which is a type of socket I've seen in other things). One of the sockets has come unclipped and the socket fell up into a compartment in the hood. I have taken the hood apart and it appears there's no way to access the compartment without drilling rivets.

Is there some sort of object that I can screw into the socket so that I can pull the socket down through the sheet metal hole (which is just as wide as the socket) and clip it? It's a pretty tight space and the socket is kind of loose up there but I can grab it with pliers. There's probably something obvious that I'm missing but all I've been able to think of is shoving needle-nose pliers in the socket and trying to hold them open against the sides, but that didn't work.

Thanks.

Old 12-29-21, 10:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
Maybe a light socket extender adapter would be long enough to pull down on like a handle...if you could screw it into the socket and get it to tighten a couple turns.

Old 12-30-21, 04:16 AM
B
Received 304 Upvotes on 269 Posts
If any of the light socket contains steel,. a magnet taped to a wooden dowel may allow you to get the socket down.

Old 12-30-21, 04:22 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Rivets would only take a few minutes to drill out and replace! Certainly a better tool to buy and have around for the future than a tool that screws into the socket to install the fixture.

Old 12-30-21, 01:04 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
My first thought was an actual light bulb. An aquarium bulb or candelabra-shaped bulb.

But I do like Marq's idea. Harbor Freight has a pop rivet gun for under $5! (Not that I love the quality of their tools... but, for the right use, you can't beat the price)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: