How to remove dimmer switch

Old 12-30-21, 02:37 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to remove dimmer switch

Hello, I live in a house built in the mid 70"s that has aluminum wiring. In our living room, there is a ceiling fan with light kit all on the same switch (not separate light and fan). There are a total of 3 switches that control the fan and one of the switches is an old style dimmer switch. I want to remove the dimmer and just replace with a switch (have no use for the dimmer and it is making my fan hum). I believe I need to replace it with a 3 way switch? I pulled the dimmer out and it has 3 wires coming out of it, two red, one black. There are 2 sets of wires coming into the box, one is black, white, red (black goes to red on switch, white goes to other red on switch, and red goes to white on other wire in box) and the other is just black, white (black goes to black on switch and white goes to red from the other line in the box) . How would I need to wire in the new switch? Please see picture attached.

Also, I pulled one of the other switch's to see how it was wired and see it is stamped "4 way switch". Two white wires were on the top 2 screws, 2 black wires were on bottom 2 screws and red was not hooked to anything.

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-30-21, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,891 Upvotes on 3,488 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yes.... you have a three way setup with three switches.
That would be 2) 3w switches.... one at each end and 1) 4w switch between the 3w switches.

Wire 1 and wire 2 are the travelers. They go to the two brass screws on your new switch.
Wire 3 is the common and goes to the dark/black/common screw on your new switch.

Old 12-30-21, 03:48 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the response. Just to confirm, would I leave the red wire as it is currently connected?

Old 12-30-21, 04:09 PM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
The only wires you do anything with are the 1,2,3 as described. Everything else stays as it is.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: