Old light,fan, heater wall switch

Old 01-05-22, 06:41 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old light,fan, heater wall switch

I have a bathroom ceiling heater, fan and light unit (circa 1960's) with a wall switch with three black wires leading into one side, three white wires into the other side and one more line that looks like a ground. The online options available for the three switch units only have one line (hot) line and three load lines and a ground. Can someone point me to a DIY/how to resource. The inspector said this switch is arcing, and I do occasionally see a flash when I turn the heater switch off. This is my first post here - so I apologize in advance if this post is inappropriate in any way. Thank you

Old 01-05-22, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your post is just fine.

You have unusual wiring in that application. It sounds like you have 3) two wire cables there.
That sounds like a waste of wiring.
However..... the older heater and xx combos were high draw items and the heater was wired to its own circuit. That would explain separate switching with all that wiring.

Can you post a picture of the switch pulled out of the wall....... How to insert pictures.
Do you know if the heater is on a separate circuit or is that entire combo on one circuit ?

Your switch set is a Nutone HS-93. They're no longer made and N.O.S. is very expensive.
You can replace that directly with a switch set from Kyle switch and plate.

Techamaki voted this post useful.
Old 01-07-22, 06:20 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Photos

Sorry for the late reply. I was incorrect in my post about the wiring. There are four wires coming in and then a couple of jumper connections. This old switch is made by "Eagle".

The whole bathroom is on one circuit. This switch, one outlet and another light above the sink share one 20 amp circuit.

Can I see which is the hot wire (line) and then use one of the currently available standard switches available with one line and three load connections and then wire accordingly? Could I use this switch: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093PW21YW...lig_dp_it&th=1

Last edited by Techamaki; 01-07-22 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-07-22, 10:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
It looks like those are 3) single pole switches. I can't tell if where the wires are connected at the one end is combined inside. There are several variations of this switch and it's wired a little differently. One switch looks to power the next switch.

Are there splices in the box ?
One white and three blacks would suggest multiple cables.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: