Repairing old desk lamp

Old 01-12-22, 05:06 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repairing old desk lamp

I am fixing an old lamp and it has two thin wires coming out of the ballast i broke one off accidentally and cant figure out how to fix it without breaking it or burning down my friends house PLEASE HELP

Old 01-12-22, 05:40 AM
B
Received 286 Upvotes on 254 Posts
That device is either a transformer or inductor. Are there other wires connected to the device not visible in the photo? What type of bulbs does this lamp have? Wires for input/output are normally attached and secured to the device internally during manufacturing so there is no strain on the attachment point. Not the case in the photo. Underneath the paper on the device are loops of insulated wire. It may be possible to remove some of the paper to find the end of the break and create some slack for repair of broken wire.

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 01-12-22, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,891 Upvotes on 3,488 Posts
It's a two wire ballast/choke. It's used to regulate the high voltage thru the tube. I doubt you'll find a replacement for it and it looks like it's age baked which will make it hard to repair. I would seriously consider converting the lamp to LED or replacing the light.

Old 01-12-22, 03:38 PM
Received 78 Upvotes on 73 Posts
Can people please stop pushing LED CRAP LoL!

I would seriously NOT consider converting the lamp to LED or replacing the light.

I assume this is an F15T8 or F15T12 lamp?
Here is a ballast I have used in the past I had to take that bracket but that is easy to do and does not damage the ballast if you are careful/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: