wire a light fixture from old electric


  #1  
Old 02-11-22, 07:29 PM
N
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 45
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wire a light fixture from old electric



there was previously a ceiling fan here i took out and want to install a simple light fixure… how would i install it? there is no bare wire… all i see is this black and white OLD wires
 
  #2  
Old 02-12-22, 05:21 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 14,501
Received 917 Upvotes on 775 Posts
Black and white wires connect to the black and white wires in the box (black to black, white to white)

The bare wire is the ground wire and is only used during a fault. Just connect it to the metal strap of the fixture or to the metal box. The box is likely not grounded, but in case it is, this will provide the path to ground.
 
  #3  
Old 02-12-22, 06:45 AM
Geochurchi's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,100
Received 162 Upvotes on 148 Posts
Hi, what is all that metal in the box? that will have to be removed.
Geo🇺🇸
 
  #4  
Old 02-12-22, 07:06 AM
N
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 45
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply… im not sure what it is (knoband tube wiring?) the previous ceiling fan was connected to it just like that…
 
  #5  
Old 02-12-22, 07:24 AM
2
Member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA near Boston, MA
Posts: 2,357
Received 400 Upvotes on 349 Posts
If the two wires enter the box through separate holes it is most likely knob-and-tube wiring. Looks possibly like a newer style box mounted to an older cast box that might even have included a connection for gas lighting. As Tolyn said just use the wires as they are.
 
  #6  
Old 02-14-22, 06:08 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,185
Received 437 Upvotes on 389 Posts
im not sure what it is (knoband tube wiring?)
Definitely knob and tube wiring. And definitely rather old (80+ years). And you got good feedback on how to connect your new light. Just be gentle with the old wires, sometimes the insulation can get brittle and start falling off.

Knob and tube wiring isn't inherently unsafe, it has been running in your house for a long time! There are 3 main things to know:
1) You want to be sure to not overload it (lights are unlikely to, but if you're using space heaters or air conditioners, you'll want to try to connect to a newer circuit.
2) Old fuse panels are often over-fused. Most K&T wiring should be connected to a 15A circuit breaker or fuse. Often, people would replace with a 20A or 30A fuse and allow an overload condition to happen.
3) You can't insulate over/around K&T wiring. Not a big deal until you decide to insulate the attic or walls.
 
2john02458 voted this post useful.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: