Old 02-21-22, 06:29 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone.
I want to put outdoor lights (14 lights 50wats each) on my detached building. (280x 20 ft) . My mane panel 130 ft away from building.
Can I run #8 wire 120v on 20 amp to building and then split to #10 in junction box.
Or I HAVE TO run 240v and have a sub panel and then go 120 20 amp. I prefer first way unless I have to a second option.
Thank you.

My plan
Old 02-21-22, 09:28 AM
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 8,050
Received 518 Upvotes on 423 Posts
As long as the only circuit you want is for the lights you can do it. However, if you want other circuits for power inside, then you need a sub panel. Only one feed to a detached building is allowed.
Seems like a waste to only run the one circuit for a building that large.
ThisOldMan voted this post useful.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: